Virtualbox and Pulseaudio
- Why won't my virtual machine talk to the audio system on my linux box?
- Duh! The pulseaudio daemon must be running as the desktop owner to work properly and I was running the VirtualBox guest as root.
root> chown simonh:simonh /scratch/XPSP2.vdiand
root> cp -r /root/.VirtualBox /home/simonh/.VirtualBox root> chown -R simonh:simonh /home/simonh/.VirtualBox
- Then start the guest as simonh.
- And, in case the pulseaudio falls over:
simonh> /usr/bin/start-pulseaudio-x11then restart the VirtualBox guest. . .
- Why does video playback in the guest, after pulsaudio has crashed, stutter very badly? Probably because it's still trying to talk to the original pulseaudio daemon. Bollox. Means a restart of the guest after a restart of pulseaudio daemon.
- Why does the daemon keep crashing? According the bugzilla on redhat its a driver issue. Perhaps I should not have the testing repo enabled? Try one of the older kernels. . .