Doc-U-Lib: an Introduction
Simon Hood, ISD
What is it (for)?
- Document respository:
- store documents;
- share documents with others by means of Web interface --- share
documents with anyone who has access to the Internet/Web.
- Upload and download documents to server using Netscape or
- Search facilities.
- Storage on dedicated machine/server --- backed up.
- Portable: s/w will run on most platforms (Perl, pure CGI).
- "Open source" (at least for us!) so changes can be made, additional
functionality added, easily.
Features of Doc-U-Lib
- Remote access: Web-Based
Accessible on any platform from anywhere...
- Document Trees
Separate collections of documents.
- Access Control
- read/write control;
- permissions may be different for each tree and directory.
- Version Control
All (previously) uploaded versions of a document accessible.
A Library Entry
- Definitive Document
Editable version, e.g., doc, xls...
- View-only Document
Viewable/printable version, e.g., pdf, ps or eps...
- Author, Uploader
Author of a document and the person who uploaded it are recorded
(not necessarily same).
Date of upload --- used in version control.
Each entry contains a set of keywords on which searches may be based, e.g.,
image, finance, draft...
A short description of the uploaded documents; displayed during navigation
without necessity of downloading and opening.
All fields are "archived" when new versions of documents are uploaded;
old version of documents may be accessed.
Logging In (Choosing a Tree)
- Enter username and password;
- Choose tree --- menu r.h.s.;
- Click "Enter";
- Error messages: incorrect username/password, cookie problems...
- Browser must be configured to accept cookies:
- Netscape: Edit/Preferences/Advanced/Accept (Warn?)
- IE: [???]
Navigating Through a Tree
- Down: select a branch.
- Up: Parent field in header.
Reading/Viewing a File
- Recognized MIME-types: click.
- Unrecognised types: shift-click.
Uploading a New Entry
Click on "new document" (near top-right-hand corner):
N.B. Big uploads...
- fill in fields;
- Entry (required)
Name of entry in docUlib.
- File def/view (one required)
Paths and names to file(s) to be uploaded. (Simplest to use Browse.)
(Must be different from eachother.)
Defaults to current user (the uploader).
Can search on these. (Perhaps classify in future?)
A short description of the uploaded documents: displayed during navigation;
Uploading a New Version of an Entry
- Click on link for particular Entry.
- Same as "New Entry", except:
- Entry name fixed.
- Keywords default to previous.
- Readme --> "Reason for change" (added to History).
Currently, of current document versions:
- upper/lower date.
- document body (closed formats, e.g., xls, a problem;
- search of histories;
- Enter username and password...
- ...a cookie is set;
- the cookie lasts for the current browser session.
Logging Out (Timing Out)
- there is no explicit logout mechanism;
- closing down your browser deletes the cookie.
- Finish search facilities: search content of READMEs and
- Search HISTORIES?
- Personal trees with "publication" utility?
- Different permissions for definitive and view-only documents?
- Permissions by file, not just directory?
- create new accounts (username/passwords);
- new trees;
- new branches;
- delete Entries;
About this document:
Produced from the SGML: ./_reml_grp//talk.reml
On: 14/0/102 at 11:20:12
Options: reml2 -i noindex -l long -o html -p single